buying a simson schwalbe

• hello, i'm lucas from the netherlands and i'm new here
    my german is so terribly bad that i will write in english

my question was, i;m about to buy a simson schwalbe kr51/1 for 125 euro's
    so, what's important to look out for when ik go to see it??

simson schwalbe: SOON!!
    hercules ultra 80: original
    puch maxi1: honda MB-8 motor, 125cc athena, 32mm mikuni TM, handmade exhaust, HPI 2006
    puch maxi2: 80cc gilardoni, 24mm mikuni TM, homoet 8-p, HPI 2005 and more

• Daag, Jongen! M´n nederlands is zo'n mist, ik schrijf ook in engels! :rolleyes:

I'm Jupp from Krefeld, thats about half an hour from Venlo. There are many things you must know about the "Simson Schwalbe", the KR51/1. Where are you going to buy it? The famous ebay?
    But with that price you can hardly do anything wrong.
    First you have to take a good look at the bike, is it in a good shape? There should be only a bit of rust, the bike should be complete. The motor should work. That are the first thoughts about the bike.
    Maybe you can take as many photos as you can with a digital camera, so I can have a look at these photos and tell you about my opinion. Others here in the "Schwalbennest" could help you to.

Thats my first, I will answer your further questions if you have any.

Greetings from Jupp

edit: Maar misschien is het mogelijk, dat ik kan maken m'n nederlands beter? Als je nog fragen heb, schrijf me 'n emailetje! Het Adress is in m'n Profil te finden. Daar kan je ook de fotos hindoen.

• Hey Lucas,
    it´s nice to welcome you in our Forum. Maybe my english is worse than your german, but i hope we`ll understand each other.
    At first it is important to know, that you cant get a Schwalbe for 125€ that is perfect. But a Simson Schwalbe is one of the best 50ccm ever produced on the whole wide world. and it will last forever. So buying a schwalbe is always a good investment. You can repair it by your own and the parts are really cheap.

You should look for different things when buying a schwalbe:
    1. Is it stolen?
    2. Is it complete?
    3. You should look at the frame (rust?, was it broken and somebody repaired it?)
    4. You should look at the motor (is it still running?, which repair do you have to do to make it work?, is everything original? f.ex. KR51/1 has a 16N1-5 Vergaser , etc.)
    5. You should look at the tires and brakes.
    6. You should check electricity.

For 125€ you can´t hope for a Schwalbe in a perfect condition. But it should be repairable. I hope that I helped you and that some other members write to you. Big Greetings to the netherlands, Friesenjung

• well, i;m going to see it tonight
    the seller said the motor didn't run, i;m going to ask why.
    also i will make some pictures and post it here.
    is it helpful to check the cranckshaft bearings for unwanted... (don't know how to say it) ''speling''

puch maxi1: honda MB-8 motor, 125cc athena, 32mm mikuni TM, handmade exhaust, HPI 2006

• A technical an optical good Schwalbe will cost round about 300 €

If your one will be complete (Engine, main frame) 125 € is a fair price.
    If it is running good, it's a good price.

But remember that a Schalbe is a old moped. Little (and bigger) things will come automatically. So hold a little bit money back for repairs.

• :)) in netherland 125€ is a normal price for a Schwalbe not cheap not to high, but take a good look at the mainframe as i see someone who screwed this one and then it's no longer stabile

how far it is between your home and Amersfoort?

one of the members in http://www.simsonforum.de live there and he has a Schwalbe and knows a lot about those bikes

• well, i've seen it, but no pics yet
    it looks quite good, not much visible rust,
    the guy got the motor running, front and rear light worked BUT....
    2,3 and 4th gear didn't work :shock:
    can anybody tell me what it could be why they don't work???
    is it hard to repair and so...

• Zitat von lucas

well, i've seen it, but no pics yet
    it looks quite good, not much visible rust,
    the guy got the motor running, front and rear light worked BUT....
    2,3 and 4th gear didn't work :shock:
    can anybody tell me what it could be why they don't work???
    is it hard to repair and so...

without the gear- is not so good...you must will many repair :cry:

• Hi lucas, welcome in the Schwalbennest Forum.

When the gears not work very well, then you can maintenounce it by yourself.

Here is the german text from the Simson FAC. I hope you can understand it.

Kontermuttern der an der Oberseite der linken Gehäusehälften befindlichen Schaltanschlagschrauben lösen und die Schrauben zwei bis drei Umdrehungen zurückdrehen.
    Ersten Gang einlegen und den Fußschalthebel in der untersten Schaltstellung festhalten. Hintere Anschlagschraube vorsichtig bis zum fühlbaren Anschlag einschrauben und kontern.
    Den 3. (beim M54 den 4.) Gang einlegen und den Fußschalthebel in der obersten Stellung festhalten. Vordere Anschlagschraube in gleicher Weise einstellen und kontern.

When i have more time i can translate it, or have a look in the internet for a translator.

If this maintenounce doesn´t work, there will be a bigger problem by the Schwalbe.

It is also important that the clutch doesent work very well. That can come from the "steel rope" in the PVC tube. There are two nuts to fix the distance.

Best wiches from germany

Harry

• mhhh.

You can only shift to the first gear and neutral gear ?? Orde only to the first.

The engine of the Kr51/1 has a transmission divided in 2 parts.
    One part is under the cover on the left side of the engine (where the kickstarter and gear switch whip go into the engine).

There can be the failure ... Its easy to repair.

But is the failure in the second part (which is in the enginemiddle ) the engine has to be split . For more informations look here

• perhaps one should ask if you are in the condition to have such bike repaired by yourself first...
    if you think you or some friend will be able to, then the few euros are worth the deal.8)

as far as i know most people around the schwalbennest would prefer to do stuff on their on, so you would get mostly hints pointing to that direction.

but if you have no clue what to do with repairing (like myself for example :oops: ) i would better chose the option of buying a bike in good condition where everything should be working at least. some rusty spots may be ignored at that point. :wink:

so first question should be: better invest some more money on a well working machine or save some bucks first to reinvest on repairing stuff on your own later...

i wonder why you didn´t get hints like that before already giving special tips on repairing... :roll:

• well, i read all the replies.
    and i think i wont buy it, i don't now nothing about these mopeds and i already have enough work on my honda mb-8 engine, becouse i'm overhauling it
    BUT, if i can find an other engine for not too much i will buy it and replace it with the 'broken' engine.
    maybe someone can tell me where i can find these engines en what they generally cost?

• Hey Lucas,
    a "new" motor will cost something like 250 or 300€ @ebay
    I cant imagine that repairing it will be that expensive. Maybe you only have to adjust the gears by two little screws at the outside of the motor.
    Where do you live in the Netherlands? Maybe the next repair station is only a few Kilometers away. I know some near Enschede.
    Greetz Friesenjung

• as i said before just contact Eric from Amersfoort he just overhauling his Schwalbe just a few month ago with the whole program inclusive split the engine
    a pic from him:

• some people on other forums say that it maybe only the stand of the shifter is wrong, so if i put it right the whole shifting problem is solved??

• It could be. But I dont think so. I could imagine that this problem appears when you couldnt reach the first gear. In this case the shifter cant be pushed down far enough to get into first gear because of the plate where you put your feet on. To reach the first gear the shifter normaly nearly touchs this plate. when you reach first gear far away from the plate for your foot, the shifter should be adjusted and it could be the problem for the other gears dont working. You should try and tell us, what happened.
    greetz, Friesenjung

P.S. But it could be a possibility. Check it if possible! Its only one screw at the shifter. In this case you should move the shifter forward. That you reach first gear, nearly when shifter touchs the plate

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!